Mold & Mycotoxins Toxicity

Kalpana D. Patel, MD -  - Environmental Medicine Specialist

EHC Buffalo

Kalpana D. Patel, MD

Environmental Medicine Specialist located in Buffalo, NY

If musty odors give you a scratchy throat, headache, mental confusion or you suffer from chronic sinus infections, you may be experiencing mold and mycotoxins toxicity. An environmental medicine expert at Environmental Health Center–Buffalo (EHC Buffalo), Dr. Kalpana Patel has decades of experience diagnosing these toxicities and providing treatment to improve your symptoms. If you live in or around Buffalo, New York, or the surrounding area, call today or book an appointment online or call for phone consultation.

Mold & Mycotoxins Toxicity Q & A

What are mold and mycotoxins?

Mold is a fungus that grows in damp, humid environments, both indoors and outdoors. Mold prefers a moist environment, but its spores can survive dry conditions and can travel long distance away from the original source.

Mycotoxins are toxic substances produced by mold. While mold is a problem, mycotoxins are thousands of times more problem as they are toxic and harmful to your health. As fat-soluble compounds, mycotoxins are stored in your body and cause health issues that affect your liver, kidneys, nervous system, and many other systems.

What is mold and mycotoxins toxicity?

If you’re overexposed to mold or mycotoxins or you’re hypersensitive to the fungus, you may develop a toxicity. Symptoms of mold and mycotoxins toxicity include:

  • Itchy throat or eyes
  • Recurrent nose bleeds
  • Chronic sinus infection
  • Chronic bronchial infections
  • Constant coughing, asthma
  • Flu-like symptoms-recurrent
  • Headaches, problems with concentration,attention deficit, forgetfulness
  • Chronic abdominal pain-Chronic Diarrhea
  • Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia
  • Peripheral Neuropathy

How are mold and mycotoxins toxicities diagnosed?

As an environmental medicine specialist, Dr. Patel tests you and your living and working environments to assess your  toxicity to mold and mycotoxins.

Dr. Patel may perform a skin test or obtain a blood sample to test your sensitivity to the fungus or order urine test for mycotoxins. She also tests the levels of mold and mycotoxins at your home and job to determine your level of exposure.

Other testing might include:

  • Complete blood count (CBC) or comprehensive metabolic profile (CMP)
  • Immunoglobulin and T- and B-lymphocyte panel
  • Venous blood gas
  • Stool analysis
  • Sinus and sputum cultures
  • DNA analysis for molds
  • Urine test for mycotoxin detection
  • Spect scan to detect neurotoxin induced damage

How are mold and mycotoxin allergies, sensitivities, and toxicities treated?

Dr. Patel uses a combination of treatments to help improve your tolerance and reduce toxicity to improve your health.

Treatment might include:

  • Environmental modification to control mold and mycotoxin exposure
  • Low-mold diet
  • Antifungal medications
  • Intradermal testing for mold and mycotoxins
  • Antigen injection treatment
  • Sublingual immunotherapy
  • Sauna detox
  • Hyperbaric oxygen therapy


Dr. Patel also offers recommendations to reduce your exposure to mold and mycotoxin at home and at work. She uses an integrated approach to identify the root cause of your issue for a more comprehensive solution that may improve your overall health in addition to your mold and mycotoxin toxicity.

Dr. Patel also provides expert witness service for her patients.

The EHC Buffalo office is environmentally controlled and equipped with a specialty airlock, air vents, and ventilation system, and specialty flooring to minimize your exposure to mold and mycotoxins during your evaluation and treatment.

For more information about mold and mycotoxins toxicity, call the office or book an appointment online.